Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Torque?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2020, 09:49 PM   #24
Shawn62

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Torque depends on what the size of the nut/thread is and what the rim is made of (aluminum or steel). So consult the manual. Second never rely on the tire installer to torque properly. They will tell you that their air guns are calibrated. This is ^@#*&^%$>. They usually over torque and sometimes under torque. I had an over torque happen that required replacement of the studs and nuts on all wheels. The threads were partially sheared and I discovered this when I removed one nut and then all. I had to used a breaker bar with a three foot pipe to get them it to turn. I was lucky in that with the bar one actually was able to be removed using the bar all the way off. I always loosen and then torque the lug nuts after anyone else services my RV.

An under torqued or over torqued lug nut can loosen and fly off. Under torque should be understood, but over torque will destroy the spring effect of the threads and thus through vibrations will loosen and spin off. Over torquing beyond that will destroy the threads like what happened to me. Proper torquing will set the threads into spring tension and this will keep them from loosing up. Check them after 100 miles and them at 400 miles. If no movement, the they should be good to go and check once a year.
MLP,
Well said. Great point about over torqued wheel fasteners and stretched threads on the wheel studs. I have seen over torqued or unevenly torqued wheel fasteners cause a vibration on disc brakes. Also good to point out that to properly check torque after a shop has them off means loosening then re-torquing the wheel fasteners.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum