Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 03:24 AM   #48
Dave de Graffenreid

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #3191
Hello Everyone,
I bought a 2016 Axis 24.1 with all the options. The coach was built in October 2015 on an E450 2016 chassis with the six speed transmission.
I bought it at Total Value RV in Indiana a few miles from the Thor factory that assembles them. The salesman agreed to the price I offered including all the options. There was one price and California sales tax. No additional charges.
In California the dealers included fuel charges, delivery and who knows what?
My thinking was this was the best price, close to the factory if anything needed fixing or replacing and I could tour the factory. Why pay someone else to put 2500 miles on my new coach.
Thank you Ed, I did a complete inspection of the coach and it’s systems before purchasing it. However at the factory they do a very complete inspect before the coach leaves.
I flew to Chicago, rented a car, and drove to Elkhart, stated at the Best Western just around the corner from TVRV.
One morning I met with a Thor Salesman and he gave me a personal tour of the assembly line in action. The tour was very informative and interesting. From there I stocked up at Walmart and was on my way to California.
In the next six days and nights I got to know the coach, Garmin, Axxera Radio, my smart phone, the interstate highways, truck stops and the power of cross winds.
I spent four peaceful nights in truck stop car parking areas. I was pleasantly surprised at the reasonable priced good food at night and hot coffee in the morning.
I spent two nights in campgrounds where the cable was questionable and the Wi-Fi nonexistent.
To avoid wind (so I thought) snow and cold, I drove south west through Illinois, Missouri and Oklahoma to reach the 40 Hwy. I had lots of cross wind for two and a half days until after Oklahoma City. At the end of the third day I was able to use the cruise control at 66mph and pass trucks at 65-75mph. I when over lots of hills at 66mph, the six speed transmission gently down shifted to fifth and went right on over the hill. The coach has plenty of power. I didn’t notice a lot of noise, maybe they did some improvement with insulation.
I drove about 300 to 500 miles a day no problem. The mileage was the worst at 60mph in the wind 8.5mpg. The best was 10.37mpg using the cruise control at 66mph. I drove 2500 miles, used 273 gal. and averaged 9.35mpg. The total cost of gas was $583.72, The average price per gallon was $2.14
I’m home now in Southern California. I’m looking at adding a macerator first thing and a satellite dish. My wife has made beautiful bedding and we are stock her up. I think the coach will meet our need while spending time in the grand kids drive way in Los Gatos as well as dependable travel up the Oregon Coast and beyond. Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. Dave de Graffenreid

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum