Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #27
galOnTheGo

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
ok, thanks, I found lots of SolarEdge residentual inverters, can you point me at an rv 3000w? I didn't see any.

here are my thoughts: 3000w is overkill for my situation, granted, but a 3000w inverter charger (IC) at $820 can handle a 1500w load easily, as opposed to a 2000w IC, for $700. save 120$ and get 33% less.
a 3000w inverter is going to consume a 525ah battery in 2 hours (250a per hour). watch what you use!
a 300w solar puts out 25a per hour. determine how long to recharge what you use.
now consider only an inverter: get two 1200w inverters spending $600 for the two, put a plug in it and plug whatever you want into it when you want it. or just get one and see how that does you. a microwave, which I have little interest in using, would handle it at about max capacity. that uses 100a per hour.
how about watching tv? not much power consumption, but now I run wires to the microwave and tv which is already integrated into my rv. a mess. thus, I want an integrated configuration. and I have seen 1200w converters with both plug in and wire in, but no switch. and remember, an inverter charger charges better than stock converters that also charge.
I could go with the 3000w IC and fuse it at half speed (1500w, 120a fuse) thus using 2 gauge wire at about 1/3 the cost plus smaller diameter than 4/0 gauge required for 3000w. again, this IC would be handling the load easily.
so if the day comes and I want to put another 300w of solar and open up the IC for something I wasn't thinking about, it is there almost ready to use, just upgrade to 2 awg cable to 4/0. and the fuse.

don't forget you need a switch to switch between existing converter and new IC, and a switch if you go with just an inverter to turn it off when connect to shore. or, turn your existing converter off leaving your IC on and let it charge your battery.

that is a lot for me to think about. am I forgetting anything? Your thoughts, Please?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.