Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
erockster20

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Arkansas
THOR #14428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
it almost sounds like your generator is stopping because it's being told to, not because of the house batteries, as their levels would not prohibit it from continuing to run - it's simply a running engine.

now, could it be that you have a setting on your Magnum panel, called 'Run Time' under the AGS settings, that is asking it to 'stop' after 30 minutes? Has this issue of the generator stopping happened before, under more normal conditions?

You shouldn't have to 'jump start' your House batteries from an external source - Thor provides an 'AUX', or otherwise called an 'emergency switch' near the dash area, that TIES TOGETHER both the Chassis and House batteries, for this very situation, where both battery banks can help start either the Generator, or the RV Engine, if either battery bank is low.
PRESS and HOLD the AUX switch while you then START the generator.

I would not necessarily suggest that just because this is happening that your House Batteries are 'dead', they are just low, and it looks like the Generator's output, thru the ATS(auto transfer switch) is not getting power to the Battery CHARGER.
Do the House Batteries get charged while you are plugged into Shore Power?

If not, either condition could be caused by a tripped INVERTER MAIN breaker, or a loose wire at that Breaker, or even a loose wire at the Inverter, itself.
Is all the outlets working when on Generator or Shore Power? IF so, the power is getting to and thru the Inverter, and the breaker would not be an issue.

Is the BATTERY CHARGER actually 'ON' at the Magnum Panel?

Once you get this figured out, and have constant Battery Charging, once the batteries are up to 'full', or around 12.8 volts, with generator or shore power off, then you can go into EQUALIZE mode at the Magnum Panel, giving the House Batteries a 'equalizing' charging of 4 hours to the battery bank, making them all 'equal' in condition.
You may have one battery that has some bad cells, or even a single bad cell, which can create conditions that don't allow proper charging... or they may just have been drained beyond what it takes to crank over the generator, and once fully charged again, should be fine.

I would NOT suddenly replace the House Battery bank 'just because' you are having an issue, which might have nothing to do with them.... that's an expensive and time consuming aggravation if not warranted.

Thanks for the info. Yes the generator has always worked fine. And like I said it seems to run fine once it was started. But unless it is running I have zero power to MH. None of the indicator lights work. Once I started the generator, I checked the battery level on the info panel and it said full. So I immediately thought, well the battery was too low to start the generator but now that it is running, it has charged up the batteries. Came back from a walk and noticed the generator wasn’t running. Had the same issues again. No house battery power. Won’t start Generator again.

I tried holding down the emergency start and got nothing. The only way I could get the generator to start was to use the jump box.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.