Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #9
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdb View Post
Thanks for posting the link. My BIM is wired with the battery banks reversed from their diagram. I called Precision yesterday to ask if that is OK - they assured me that it won’t matter. My Thor schematics show the battery banks are to be wired with coach batteries to the Battery A terminal

Dave
I'm not convinced the wiring doesn't matter even after Precision told me the same thing.

I have a 2020 Magnitude SV34 with the BIM 160. I have been having issues with the house batteries charging while driving coach.

The BIM 160/225 datasheet's terminology is all screwed up. They call the battery connected to the engine alternator the "coach" battery and they call the battery hooked to the coach converter / charger the "chassis" battery.

The there wiring diagram shows the Ignition terminal on the BIM connected to their version of the "chassis" battery, which we would call the house (coach) batteries.

When I look at the BIM version for Lithium batteries it specifically says the left post is for the starting battery and the right post is for the house batteries. The Lithium battery unit looks identical to the BIM 160/225 so the only difference with this model is how the microprocessor controls the Lithium battery charging.

I also found a Forest River site that specifically shows the BIM 160 wired with the left post going to the starting battery and the right post going to the house batteries.

During my last trip the FireFly panel started reporting the chassis battery at 0V when the engine was running and then normal voltage when the engine was off. The BIM was also not boosting the house battery voltage when the Inverter was on for the fridge and the voltage dropped below 12.5 volts and the chassis batteries were showing 14.7 volts on my dash voltmeter.

Today I decided to switch the BATT-A and BATT-B wiring the way the Forest River site showed and the way the Lithium battery version shows. I moved the chassis battery cable to the BATT-A post and the house battery cable to the BATT-B post.

After doing that I started the engine. After a couple minutes I could hear the relay engage while the engine was running and my house battery voltage went up.

I'm still not going to rule out that I have a bad BIM 160 and maybe it just started intermittently working. But after seeing the Precision Circuits documentation being screwy and other indications that it might matter which post goes to the chassis battery and which post goes to the house battery, I figured I had nothing to lose and for the moment it seems to be working.

Here are pics I found from the Forest River site....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIM 160 Correct Wiring.png
Views:	846
Size:	757.0 KB
ID:	23106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 10.13.24 AM.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	23107  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum