Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
IMHO, this is the exception and nowhere near the norm. And my statement comes from over 50 years of experience with working with all levels of lead acid batteries in light and heavy equipment.

Comment on the $100 expense of replacing the antiquated lead acid with an agm and if you agree it's the best course of action for someone unknowledgable and probably, due to the average age of our group, inable to perform the potential dying dog pretzel faced yoga position needed even once a year let one the suggested every trip.

The water fill device for a 12v is about $60. An agm, the one I bought yesterday was $110(including core charge). To what end buy the water filler to salvage labor on an antiquated system?

This all comes from someone(me) who has TWELVE newish, serviceable, six volt wet cells, $1,800 worth, sitting in the garage right now. My current position is to move those dinosaurs to power the greenhouse fans and just break down and buy the batteries I want for my rv kit.

I think it's a good idea to get it all over and not worry about a worry.
I thinking this for myself also, thus the 6v's not being put in the Thor kit. I have the space, the cables, the inverter, I'm just not going to deal with the heavy 1909 era technology of them.

Whether or not it needs water, and I have about 40 batteries on the ranch right now, isn't really the point. A cure is my point.

So, two days ago I added a winch to one of the tractors. While I'm doing this I cleaned the battery terminals, popped the one piece caps off, checked the water(6 years old, didn't need water) leaned the top with glass cleaner, babied it, told it I loved it. Worked as normal yesterday. Today, dead won't take a charge past 75%, completely absolutely gone.
The second you show some love around this place, something bites you on the butt.
So, the new agm I bought yesterday for the offroader which gacked up its 10year old optima red top, now goes to the tractor and I get to find another 34 four post for the offroader.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Water...5843669&sr=8-9

If you need to check your battery often for water level, the above link will make it easier. Not agm easy, but easier than popping caps.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.