Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 02:26 AM   #18
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Good point, but there have been discussions on motorcycle forums about downshifting vs. braking with and some feel that it's a tossup. Use brakes more to save engine wear or use compression to save brakes. Since brakes are cheaper to replace, some feel it's best to use them more. Personally, I don't pay much attention on a motorcycle, I just do what I have always done. In the RV though, I find it difficult to let that engine rev high going down long, steep grades.
On an RV when brakes are used excessively going downhill they get hot and hot brakes may fail over time. Engine braking can be your best friend. Unfortunately with the V10 high revs and engine roar are a side effect of engine braking, however, the V10 can handle the high revs.

The other thing to consider when descending hills is cruise control. Cruise will downshift as necessary to maintain speed. Tow haul will also downshift with a tap of the breaks.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.