Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #18
GordSanClemente

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
I assume that someone will tell me this is a real bad idea, but if they do, maybe they can tell me why.
I was out on the road in a new to me coach (so no real idea how that batteries have been treated), not happy with how the batteries were charging and discharging. I decided it was important that I check the fluid level in the batteries first before trying anything else.

My battery compartment holds two house batteries and really nothing else.
There is about 6 inches above the batteries. I tried repeatedly to jamb my head into the opening (just kidding)

I went to CVS and purchased to baby medicine droppers.
Had my gloves and goggles on.
Used one to dip into the each battery cell and see if I could pull up fluid from what I considered a reasonable depth. If no fluid, I put distilled water in to the cell with the other medicine dropper until I was able to pull fluid with the first dropper.
Did this for all 12 cells (6 per battery). Found only two that really needed water.

Long term solution: I purchased two LiFePO4 batteries from Costco when they were on sale for $700 each. Apparently I like to throw money at my problems. (much the way I throw alcohol at my feelings)

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.