Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #58
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Correct. And even if it saved a few minutes to charge batteries, it’d be difficult for most of us to justify the high cost of a second “aftermarket” alternator for a Mercedes Sprinter. I’ve only seen a second alternator added when the RV manufacturer wanted to eliminate the Onan generator, where they installed a large-capacity lithium battery bank.

A much stronger case can be made when additional alternator capacity can be provided by the chassis OEM at a small fraction of the cost. Chevy upgraded their V8 up to 6.6-liter for truck use, and offers dual alternator option for $380 (at least in pickups), which is affordable and a great value in my opinion. I expect Chevy may offer the 2021 Express Cutaway with this option to match Ford E-Series.

Both Chevy and Ford have a combined rating of just under 400 Amps, which, if nothing else, is enough to power an RV rooftop air conditioner while driving a motorhome without having to run the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	982B2880-B477-4B54-8010-CB86119F2255.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	23228   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC436FE0-37C9-44A5-85DF-6649FA19DA7A.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	23229  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum