Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 11:48 PM   #8
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The problem is a propane tank (or gas tank for that matter) still contains a lot more energy per volume than any of the best batteries. Thus you still get a lot of bang for the buck with propane...

Having said that I'd go all electric (obviously LOL). For temps down to 40F or so you could always use a heat pump which will be more efficient than any sort of resistive heating.

Or you could make the water heater do double duty and use the heated water to warm up the coach with some radiators around (of course that may add weight with the extra water there...).
Yeah, running a generator for electric heat is technically possible, but not allowed in places like National Parks. That would then leave battery power only — also possible if you have enough batteries to power air conditioner for extended periods. Most of the time you’d just plug in at campground. Plugging in is what we’ve done for years in our van.

For boondocking or National Parks, instead of propane, you can either rough it, or install a hydronic water/heat system that runs on diesel. I believe they now also have gasoline version that I need to investigate. Or apply the cost to more batteries. Batteries get heavy though. We have about 12 kWh planned. That would be enough for a heat pump overnight but not electric resistance for much longer than that.

Below is video of how hydronic water and space heat could work.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum