Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
Choxnpinz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Delaware
THOR #13591
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I would suggest that it's location is somewhere close to the generator itself, or a storage compartment next to it, since your generator is probably on the driver side rear area, maybe...

Now, the module controls the actions of the AGS(Auto Generator Starter), to start the generator for either low VOLTAGE or inside TEMPERATURE as set on the Thermostat for the air conditioner(s).

VOLTAGE setting will be somewhere between 11.8 and 12.2, or for this unit, closer to 12, if you want the AGS to start the generator to recharge the batteries, and of course, to be able to use the generator for other needs, like a/c and microwave, etc.

RUN TIME is the amount of 'time' you want the Generator to run each time it's started by the AGS.

now, if you want to limit your generator from starting at certain times, like when a campground limits your generator to be used only between 8am and 8pm, then you can set it to manage that. You set the TIME then, too, so it knows what the actual time is where you are parked.

If you don't have a 'remote' for this module, on the inside of your coach, then you'll need to access this unit to set it to your needs. Make sure that it is 'Enabled', which means the 'READY' light should always be lit if that's the case, otherwise even if you 'set' the dials, the AGS may not be 'on' to crank the generator when it needs to.

For your Inverter, yes, most are designed to automatically turn OFF when the battery voltage is sensed to be less than a certain level, such as 11.5 volts, or 11, or 10 for some. This is to keep the inverter from continuing to sap the batteries if you are not aware of it. Some will allow this number to be set by the owner, like mine, which I set to 11.5 volts. My AGS is normally set to about 11.9 or 12 volts to start, but I can vary that if I feel that for our 'off-grid' situation I might want it to start more often, or less often, etc. I also generally use a 30minute run time, which works for most of our situations, giving the 4) 6v battery bank enough charge for several more hours, but I also use 1 hour if I want the battery bank to get a charge that might carry us many more hours. Some will use many hours so that they can feel like the battery bank is getting 'fully charged', but I don't feel that the Generator needs to run so long, as when the battery bank gets to a certain level, it goes into 'absorb charging' mode, and the generator's output is then being somewhat wasted as the batteries are only getting a much small 'charge' during that time. My generator and AGS is simply there to give us several more hours on the batteries, not to fully charge the battery bank for a full day or overnight. I would rather have the generator run a little more often, but less time each run.

Remember, too, that when the AGS kicks on the generator, it's always a good time to make use of the 120v power that the generator is providing, for other things you may need to do anyway, like using the microwave, or even running the air conditioner(s) during that time. When the AGS turns off the generator, the air conditioner(s) will turn off, too... it's designed to do that. If you leave them on, they will also come back on when the generator is started again, and so forth.

Press the TEST button to test : The AGS should then prime and crank the Generator to show you that the module is connected correctly to it, then the generator will automatically STOP running after about 30 seconds... I'm not sure if you have to press and HOLD the test button, but give it a try either way and see.

Thanks for the in-depth answer. Your information was pretty close to what the manual said (and I appreciate the layman's terms). Now I just need to find the unit so I can check the settings, which is why I was having the problem to begin with. My generator is located behind the driver on the lower chassis, but the arming (on/off/test switch) is by the entry door. I just have to locate the box where I can make adjustments to the time, voltage etc. More to follow once I find it! Thanks again!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.