Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #15
knucklehead

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If you were ordering a custom camper, or building your own for that matter, would you add a propane system? If so, why?

The Sportsmobile website has a GOING ALL ELECTRIC section stating:

ALL ELECTRIC, DELETE THE PROPANE, IS THE TREND

https://sportsmobile.com/going-all-electric/

Sportsmobile make a good argument, particularly for small motorhomes (based on vans) where space is more limited.

Propane for cooking or refrigerator isn’t required, since induction cooktop and compressor refrigerator is preferred in this case anyway. That leaves hot water and space heating, which can be all electric, or heated with diesel or gasoline fuel from vehicle tank. Electric hot water seems simplest, but electric space heat (also simple) takes a lot more energy and thus not as viable in very cold weather.

If it comes down to mostly space heat, does it make sense to add a propane system just for that need, or would you find an alternate solution?

Options:
Liquid engine fuel (Espar)
Campground electric
Generator electric
Battery electric
Others ????

P.S. — I’m helping rebuild a classic motorhome that is stripped down to outer shell. It will be used mostly in summer, but occasionally travel north in winter. I like simplicity of all-electric, but don’t want my personal preference/bias to compromise a practical design.
Here's my .02 worth. I don't have much experience with solar power with high tech batteries or other hot water systems, cooking systems or space heating systems. I'm sure there are good reasons to use any or all of them. Certainly a backup system whether it's propane or solar or 120v is a good idea. For me, I have really enjoyed our Thor Windsport 29m with a 30 amp electric system and propane cook top, oven, water heater and furnace. You can go down the road with the fridge & water heater running for pennies. Good luck on your project!! Bob Trice

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.