Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Wink

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I did the above after months of trying to get it to work. The step I didn’t realize was needed is the “auto scan”. So let’s say you want to go back to your antenna....you will need to “auto scan “ again.
Welcome to the forum. Everything I know about my MH came from here.

while that's 'close' to how it works, if you are at the same location, there is no need to 'rescan' between INPUTS, if you've already scanned for those channels previously.
I think what you meant to say was, when you move to a DIFFERENT location, such as a different city or state, you'll need to 'rescan' for each OTA or CABLE input, as they are different in different areas.

Now, the same applies if you watch Satellite TV, thru a portable roof antenna, or such, and you also want to see 'LOCAL' channels over the air, thru your OTA antenna... you switch your TV's 'INPUT' to 'AIR', then 'scan' to pick up the local channels. Once you've done this, though, you can switch your TV's input from your Satellite 'HDMI' input to the 'TV' input and switch between them both, as you wish.

These types of TV viewing can be a little confusing when you first start because you are dealing with many different 'systems' that are not all from the same factory and designed to work together. The Entertainment 'box', simply an INPUT switching box, is designed to help you do that, but even then it can be a little daunting.

for OTA, for LOCAL signals from your own roof air antenna:
A) the 'box' must have your desired TV set to 'AIR' or 'OTA' (or similar name)
B) the 'box' must be ON, or you must have the wall coax plate pushed ON, depending on your model's design
C) you must then set your TV's INPUT to 'AIR'
D) you must then 'scan' for the Local over-the-air Channels

for CABLE, from the rv park or campground:
A) the 'box' must have your desired TV set to 'CABLE'
B) the 'box' must NOT be ON, since a cable signal will NOT need to be powered
C) you must have a coax cable connected between the park's coax connector and your RV's coax connector, sometimes located in the 'wet bay' or even on the outside wall, or similar place.
D) you must then set your TV's INPUT to 'CABLE'
E) then SCAN for channels

for SATELLITE:
A) Satellite will depend on your 'type' of antenna, and where you use it
B) A factory-mounted, or use of a factory-provided pre-wired, ROOF mount will typically be fed down into the same cabinet with the 'entertainment switch box', but those of us who use a 'portable' antenna may just run our own coax cable from the antenna, sometimes set out on the ground, to within the RV in various ways.
C) the incoming Satellite coax cable must go directly to a RECEIVER, it cannot go thru splitters, or generally even an entertainment 'box'
D) the RECEIVER processes the signal and provides a HDMI output, generally, to the TV
E) the RECEIVER is then set to 'acquire' the satellite(s), and download the channels
F) the TV 'INPUT' is set to HDMI to see the channels

for any of these situations, or ALL of these situation at the same time, you can switch between any of these viewing options with your TV'S 'INPUT' button or setting, toggling between 'AIR', 'CABLE', or 'HDMI', if you so need to.
While some of us will contact our satellite provider to 'update' our Local location, so that we might can see 'LOCAL' channels via the satellite channels, if you don't do that, you can still see your LOCALS, over-the-air, or thru CABLE, if you have that option.
We find that using the OTA option when storms block the viewing of satellite channels a nice option, even if only for a little while until the satellites are in view again, or simply because some LOCAL channels tend to have a focus on what 'weather' is happening right now in THAT area. Some channels are also ONLY available in certain places OTA, like 'ME TV' and some others that don't allow the satellite companies to spot broadcast them in regions where local OTA providers are already in play. I Love my 'ME TV'!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.