Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 04:52 PM   #125
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
......cut....

The V-8 would need to really bump MPG to justify change or I would need bigger unit (not likely).

That’s not ever going to happen in my opinion. The new V8 “may” get slightly greater fuel economy due to its higher compression ratio, lower friction, and improved breathing, but these can only be incremental improvements in the Premium “power” tune. The reasons large and heavy motorhomes get crappy fuel economy is mostly because of the amount of power it takes to move them, not because their engines are that inefficient.

As I’ve stated before, V10 technical data shows that the V10 engine is reasonably fuel efficient in the right power range. I’m certain Ford did not replace the V10 with the new V8 just to save fuel. There’s no way the new V8 can save enough fuel over a V10 to justify upgrading a motorhome solely for that purpose.

The new V8 has significant “potential” over the V10 which has nothing to do with fuel economy. I believe the driving force (no pun intended) behind the new V8 was to reduce costs. The new engine is simpler so should cost less to manufacture and repair/rebuild. It’s also physically smaller, so can fit in tighter spaces and/or have better cooling over the exterior of engine. A smaller RV doghouse should be a welcomed improvement.

What I like best about a V8 is that it’s not a V10. My V10 may have just over 200,000 miles now, but it’s never been smooth or quiet. A V10 is not inherently balanced, so requires a balance shaft. Beyond that, I have never driven a single Triton engine that wasn’t loud. Even a 4.6L V8 in an F-150 was louder than old OHV V8s from the past, particularly at higher RPMs.

P.S. — For the size RV I’m interested in, I still think the 7.3L is too large for optimum efficiency. A +/- 5-liter engine should have greater chance of 12 MPG at 60 MPH in a smaller motorhome.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum