Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #21
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
Is it possible that 6V batteries having half as many, larger cells than 12V batteries of equivalent case size allows for a cell design that tolerates deep discharge better? I'm wondering if this is why golf carts generally use banks of 6V batteries instead of 12V batteries.

I believe the reason for 6-Volt is probably much simpler. A typical 48V golf cart carries around 500 pounds of batteries, so 8 X 6-Volt all in series places each battery size in range of a Trojan T-105 at about +/- 62 pounds.

If you went with 12-Volt batteries, they’d have to be around 125 pounds each (which is a bear to lift) or you’d have to go with 2 strings of 4 X 12-Volt, which adds extra wiring and battery costs.

Some retrofit as well as new golf carts that go with lithium batteries have 4 X 12-Volt batteries in series. But we know lithium weighs a lot less (specific energy density is much higher).

By the way, I just learned that some battery manufacturers are starting to make smaller-size 48V lithium batteries that can be connected in parallel in large numbers as required to meet stored energy needs. I’ve been very interested in 48V for RVs thinking that’s the future, and having 48V individual batteries would not only add redundancy (versus 4 X 12V in series) but also makes it easier to expand battery bank capacity. And the combined peak current capacity seems to be a bit higher too because the built-in BMS doesn’t limit current as much.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.