Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 09:16 PM   #25
ellenov

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I don't want to turn this into a religious discussion of 6v vs 12v.

Here's the stance:
I already own TWELVE six volt batteries.
I have done the mockup battery from cardboard. It's in the thread in my signature.
I have found a place to easily put four of them in a spot you can throw a rock and hit and remove in about five minutes. I have already built a place to put four more for a total eight. Pictures are in my signature thread.

I've done the research, weighed the benefits, put in the time.

The six volt thing is a pretty basic hoax. It didn't used to be a hoax. Before there was anything but wet cells it was a fine path to take if you didn't have room for one large 12v but could find two spots for two smaller six volt. It was the only reason then, it's the only reason now.

The six volt myth has been dispelled by people smarter than I.
The 'don't set a battery on concrete' myth hasn't been a fact since the late sixties when they quit making batteries with tar bodies.
The 'magic' required for electricity to get through the plastic bodies now used is not from this dimension. Once said out loud, it makes sense. I use this as sense spoken out loud.

It's disputed.
I have $1,800 of six volts about to go into my greenhouse as a solar power and heat bank instead of into the rv.

Buying one or two lithium type batteries is much more sensical now. They're twice the draw(the reason to have 2 six volt batteries) in the same space as a 12v wet cell(the six volts take up twice the space)

Just thoughts from someone not only with the resources, but someone who already owns the batteries and has the fabrication skills.

(I have those 6v batteries because I got rid of two golf carts but kept the new/newish batteries and monster sized battery cables.)

I was wrong about putting in the six volts just because I had them. They add no value over a same amperage 12v except you can stash pairs in a smaller space each instead of needing a big space for the bigger 12v. For instance one 6v can go over each wheel well instead of a 2xbigger 12v over one wheel well.
There is no other value to them other than multiple small spaces being utilized.

A cell is a cell is a cell is a cell. That's the bottom line. There is no 6v cell. There is no 12v cell. They are called cells because they are groupings of 1.5v(+-ish) cells into battery. A 6v has the same cells as a 12v but one has twice as many of the same cells, the same size cells, the same voltage cells, just packaged as twice as big. There are percentage differences of far less than 3 percent in a laboratory setting. An rv is not a laboratory setting.

So do it or don't, it adds no value and deletes no rv level value except utilization of space.
From my research 6 volt golf cart vs 12 volt are not apples to apples. There are a lot more plates in a 6 volt than a 12 volt and plates mean energy. Two 6 volts are equal to four 12 volts because of their increased plates. Our two 12 volts did not perform as well as the two 6 volts we have connected to each other.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.