Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Power issue
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #17
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well, if the chassis and house battery leads are swapped the Ign and Sig leads have to be swapped as well. Having the ignition lead activate the house side and the signal lead activate the chassis side won't work.

And that is where Thor has it wrong. They even show it incorrectly in their schematics.

You can see they show the chassis batter is on the SIG side and the house battery is on the IGN side.

What led me to look at it more closely is my FireFly Panel app was showing crazy voltages while driving that made no sense. At times it would show the chassis batteries at 0V and the house batteries at 16V.

The other thing that lead me to investigate the wiring more closely was the BIM they make for LI batteries specifically says BATT-A is for the chassis battery. That made sense because the chassis battery may not be LI and need to charge differently than LI house batteries.

Once I swapped the battery cables, everything worked exactly as I expected. When the house batteries dropped below 12.6V, the alternator would start charging them. When on shore power and the chassis batteries dropped below 12.6V, the Converter/Charger started charging them.

I'd say this should be a Thor recall. I can't entirely blame Thor after the manufacturer of the BIM told me it made no difference which battery went to BATT-A and which battery went to BATT-B. Based on my testing and troubleshooting I can definitively say it does make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIM.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	23605  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum