Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #68
Rysiek

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Somebody has waaaay too much quarantine thinking time on their hands.
The engineers have to take zero ambient cooling into the design of a water cooled engine because, especially in a motorhome, they have no idea how the engine will be encased. The only important criteria is the airflow across the radiator and the ambient temperature of the air going through the radiator.

In conclusion: there is no, zero, none, difference on the operating temperature of the engine due to insulating the doghouse and/or surrounding areas.
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]...
Just got my additional (3rd) roll of Dynamat and still waiting for more of Fatmat to insulate our 2015 Axis 24.1 even more. Last year I insulated the doghouse, empty spaces under the dashboard around the driver, passenger and above the doghouse area. The speakers were removed and the bottomless holes were filed with all leftovers I had. Then, I took apart more of the upper part of the dashboard on driver and passenger side where the computer desk is and applied more of Dynamat/Fatmat. The spaces were so packed with insulation that I had a hard time to put everything back together. Next project was done outside of the coach. Insulated the engine compartment as much as I could. What a task that is. And I am not a big guy. Everything I had at that time was applied to the inside walls, firewall and even the front grill. The results were amazing but I knew I still could do even more.
Now, couple of days ago while replacing broken led strips (under the headlights) and installing front grill's aluminium sheet to protect the radiator from rocks I noticed again, how much more of Dynamat/Fatmat I could still use under the hood. This space is so huge. Plenty of room to apply another layer of insulation where I can.
So, reading these great posts gives me more confidence and reassures me that I am doing the right thing and I am not the only one dealing with something Thor should be doing at their factory. That is enough, Home Depot is waiting...[emoji14][emoji14][emoji14]

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.