Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
This is just my opinion.... but based on some experience with the E-series chassis.

I had a 2018 Outlaw 29H and it was also a chore to drive. It could be a white knuckle experience at times and you could feel worn out after driving 6 hours. It would wander and not track straight easily. Semi's and other traffic going by could push it out of its lane along with gusts of wind.

The big issue is that the stock cutaway van chassis comes from Ford with a basic suspension (Ford doesn't know if it will become an airport shuttle, motorhome, ambulance, etc.). The MH manufacturers take that chassis and cut it and stretch it and then add so much to it that the dry weight is not far from the GVWR. The end result is the MH does not handle or ride very well all things considered.

I spent about $1500 (doing the work myself) to install Hellwig Heavy Duty Sway bars, a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer and front and rear Sumo Springs. Took me about 4 hours a day spread over three days to do it all myself. The difference in handling and ride quality was night and day. It was no longer a white knuckle experience and I could drive it 8 hours without feeling totally wiped out. It would hold its line more easily and not get pushed around by passing traffic or wind.

Which of those made the biggest difference? I think it was the combination of the three because they all impact the suspension to help the E-series deal with the length, height and weight of a MH body. If it were me, I would plan to do at least two of the three upgrades. I would do the sway bars and the steering stabilizer.

I traded in the Outlaw 29H last fall for a Magnitude Super C on the F-550 chassis. The difference in handling and ride quality of the F-550 truck chassis over the E-series van chassis is night and day ... even after comparing it to the upgrades I did on the E-450. The F-550 truck chassis is built for big and heavy loads at the Ford factory.

I have not had to put a dime into the F-550 chassis and the Magnitude is longer and heavier than the Outlaw. It is easy to drive... so much so I surprised myself and drove 12 hours last weekend. I had told myself (based on my experience driving the Outlaw) that 8 hours would be the mx I could do in a day. After driving the Magnitude for about 3000 miles I started saying I could probably do 10 hours a day. Last weekend with weather and traffic conditions very good, I ended up driving 12 hours and not feeling completely wiped out. It would hold it's line and not get pushed around by passing traffic or wind.

Knowing what I know now.... I would not purchase a Class C or Class A on an E-series chassis that was 25' or longer. But if I did, I would have to accept that I would be upgrading the suspension the way the MH manufacturer should have done it when building it.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum