Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Solar Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #11
Dilley Dilley

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by tek_ryter View Post
We recently purchased a 2019 Freedom Elite 23H and I noticed it is pre-wired for an optional solar panel. It includes a control/battery monitoring panel in the stairwell and connectors on the roof.
Can anybody tell me the recommended wattage for this system and is it wired solely for battery upkeep? I'd like to consider adding enough panels to power lights, etc., but not if it entails additional wiring and another control panel.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
We have a 480 watt (3 160 watt panels) with 30 amp controller Go Power Solar on our Coach. I also added 2 additional house batteries. This system does everything you’re looking to do plus it even provides enough power to keep the residential refer going. Ours may be a little bit overkill for what you’re looking for but it gives us a little more flexibility. The thing you have to remember is that the solar provides charging for the batteries not direct power for the coach. Sooo, how many batteries you have to store the power in is going to dictate how much you can use anything that is wired through the inverter (lighting, TV’s, Residential Refer for example). As you’re drawing down the batteries during the dark you will need to manage usage. Once the refer is cold then the compressor won’t constantly be coming on and drawing power as much if you’re diligent at keeping the door closed. The LED overhead lights don’t use a bunch of energy but you don’t need to have them on all the time. In the daytime then your solar will replenish the batteries. You can also run the generator to expedite the recharging process. I think it’s important whatever you decide to do that you at least add a couple more batteries for storage. But if all you want is to keep your batteries charged then maybe you can get by with just two. Hope this helps.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum