Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 03:37 AM   #34
JimC

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
Best way to cool coach while driving - Clarification of real ?

in my original question and statement of circumstances, I apparently did not make the real purpose of my question clear.

None-the-less, I really appreciate all of the suggestions and advice that has been replied.

My real concern is a mixture of cooling capacity, passenger comfort, gas mileage, an engine/transmission wear and tear.

Background:
On my recent trip to OKla from Wichita KS, on I-35 w/6 adult occupants & 2 large dogs, in my 2020 Class C [chevy 6.0L Express] Thor 22GOC, purchased in January, we had sustained 25mph headwinds [straight on towards me] with gusts to 35mph. The outside temperature was ~70F. I was running the dash A/C, with satisfactory coach temperatures. Road speed was 65mph. Because of the headwinds, the truck very frequently would downshift from 6th [1800rpm], to 5th [2300rpm], to even some lengthly runs in 4th gear [3300rpm]. Often, we would go several miles at 3300rpm over the rolling terrain. This made me very uncomfortable. I worried about the transmission fluid overheating. Eventually, I slowed to 55-60mph which really dragged out our trip time.
Questions:
Engine wear and tear/Gas Mileage/Comfort: Would running the generator and roof A/C as opposed to running the dash A/C, in the circumstances above, have [likely]/[unlikely]/[significantly]/[insignificantly] 1) Let the engine run slower rpm 2) Incur less wear and tear, 3)Notably improve gas mileage, and 4)Cool the coach about equally to the dash A/C?
Thanks again for your replies,
Jim C.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum