Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #7
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTcamper View Post
My new SV34 with the Xantrex 2000 would only show that it was on inverter mode even when plugged into shore power. Batteries would run down fast. My dealer was able to diagnose a bad connection on one of the feeds plugging into the Xantrex. Even though it was charging the batteries when plugged in, batteries were powering the fridge, etc., so they were never getting fully charged. Once that connection was fixed, inverter showed correctly that it had switched to shore shore power. So far every thing seems to be working properly.

You may want to look at something else that I discovered with my 2020 Magnitude SV34 and was having a problem with my Inverter and house batteries when driving. When I was driving and using the Inverter to power the fridge, the house batteries were running down and not being charged by the alternator.

Thor also thought it was a loose connection but I continued to have problems. After I did a lot of troubleshooting and contacted Precision Circuits about the BIM160 battery isolator manager I determined Thor wired the BIM160 backwards.

The way the BIM160 works is supposed to work is......

- When the engine is running and the chassis battery is fully charged, the BIM will switch to also charging the house batteries from the alternator if their voltage drops to 12.6V.

- When on shore power and the house batteries are fully charged, the BIM will switch to also charging the chassis batteries from the Converter / Charger if their voltage drops to 12.6V.

I found that other manufacturers using the BIM160 were wiring the chassis battery to the BATT-A post on the BIM 160, which is nearest to the IGN post. Then the house batteries are wired to the BATT-B post nearest the SIG post.

Thor wired the house batteries to the BATT-A post and the chassis battery to the BATT-B post. When it was wired this way, the alternator was not charging the house batteries properly. After I put the chassis batteries on the BATT-A post and the house batteries on the BATT-B post, the BIM160 started working properly.

Attached is how Thor wired it and how other manufacturers wire it. According to the manufacturer of the BIM160, it should not matter when I talked to them but it clearly does in how it performs in this application. I already contacted Thor about it and they are investigating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor BIM 160 Wiring.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	23741   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIM 160 Correct Wiring.png
Views:	192
Size:	757.0 KB
ID:	23742  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum