Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2020, 03:12 AM   #25
Dilley Dilley

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacdermott View Post
Hi,

I currently live in CT and we are moving to CA in our new Thor 28A next week. My Dad can't fly, so we are going the RV route. I am an RV newbie and have all kinds of questions about rest stops and power, how long the house battery lasts, etc. etc.

Any tips on cross country stops along I-80 would be appreciated - we will be trying to get there pretty quickly in time for our furniture.

Any and all advice welcome!

Siobhan
Have a safe trip and welcome California when you get here. How long the House Batteries last is going to be dependent on how much use. While you are diving, while you run the generator, or while you are hooked to electrical they will charge up. Not everything in your Motorhome is able to be powered by the house batteries alone bevause of the fact the house batteries alone can’t support certain current draw requirements. During the times when you might not have an electrical hookup you’ll have to use the generator to operate most outlets, the microwave, rooftop air conditioners. The only things that will work solely off the house batteries are things that are wired through the inverter. Items likely wired to the inverter are the LED lighting, T.V.’s, Residential Fridge, maybe a couple outlets. If running off your house batteries only you just have to watch yourself and manage the usage. Don’t open the refer many times or leave the door open for extended periods so that the compressor doesn’t have to keep coming on. That used a lot of power. Once the refer is cold it can stay cold if you play it right. If the house batteries get drawn down then you just have to charge them when you can while driving or with the generator. The other thing you want to make sure if is that you have the water level correct in your house batteries. Check the level and fill them and fill them with distilled water if they need it. Last advice is drive safe. If you run into weather that hinders your progress don’t push it. Good luck and stay safe.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.