Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #9
Bobo

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 29.4
State: New York
THOR #6366
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The guy at your dealer is a moron.... or I should say he is very uneducated when it comes to RV's to be more politically correct.

There are Inverter / Chargers but your Xantrex Pro 1800 is an Inverter only and does not charge batteries. I have had that model and I know it for a fact. It only converts the DC power from your House batteries to AC current to run your residential fridge and maybe a couple other outlets. It is a full sine wave inverter to allow you to run things with a compressor like a residential fridge.

You also have a Converter / Charger onboard. It is possibly a WFCO but without knowing your make and model we can't be sure. It would be located in the vicinity of your breaker panel and other electronics and probably hidden from view.

The Converter / Charger serves two purposes. The Converter takes your AC shore or generator power and converts it to 12V DC to run the 12V accessories in the coach (lights, vent fans, furnace, etc.).

The Charger is responsible for charging the House batteries (and the chassis battery in some cases but that is a lesson for another time). The Charger takes the AC power and it becomes the battery charger. Some models are better than others. I pulled my stock WFCO Converter / Charger and installed a Progressive Dynamics PD2600 that has an intelligent charger with 4 charging modes. It is a 60 Watt model.

Your Converter / Charger is designed to quickly bring your House batteries up to a useable charge on Shore Power or Generator Power. You don't need a separate battery charger.

You need to find the manuals for the components installed in your coach so you can determine what make and model accessories are installed (like your Xantrex Pro 1800 and the Converter / Charger) so you can read up on how they work and their specs.

Judge, when you replaced the WFCO converter, did you have to replace the whole Distribution Center, or were you able to just wire the new PD2600 in?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum