Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Dead batteries
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #21
cavie

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Cavie,

Why does Thor wire their coaches like this? I see this problem all the time and even though what Thor has wired will work and make some sense, it does not seem intuitive at all? It even confuses me, and I am SOB. Basically on my coach it seems quite simple, because if I have shore power, I cannot turn off USE mode (or put in STORE mode). I think this protects me from myself. Why would anyone want their coach in STORE mode and have shorepower at the same time? I don't think most are trying to do that, but the fact that you can and it is called STORE may add to confusion.

For my SOB, as soon as cut shorepower, then the USE / STORE button make sense, because if it is on STORE nothing will happen as there is ZERO power. I have gone 2 weeks like this and battery was still over 12volts.
You are correct. You are confused. The use and store switch is for 12 volt only and has nothing to do with wither you are on shore power or not.

When you are on shore power your converter must be on to get 120 volts to be able to power your 12 volt stuff and keep the battery charged. Lighting is 12 volts. Not 120 volts. Control circuits for WH, fridge if not resi, furnace are 12 volts. That is why the battery disconnect must be on (in use). When you are in storage you don't want to forget and leave a light on or power up the control circuits so you turn the battery disconnect off. Except for the LP, CO detectors and the radio memory. They are bypassed by the battery disconnect sw. There is some power being used. It is done for safety. It's not just Thor, they are all done this way. The only way to completely disconnect the battery is to install a disconnect switch right on the battery. Very cheap at any auto supply, WM store installs in 5 min. right on the battery post.

Bottom line, If you want to keep the battery charged you must leave it in use mode to run the converter to keep the battery charged or install a trickle charger on the battery and plug that into shore.

https://www.harborfreight.com/batter...RoCECoQAvD_BwE

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.