Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
You have several options......

First, 200Ah is going to limit what you can power for any substantial length of time, especially without solar. You won't be powering an air conditioner, etc.

Second, you are likely looking at 1000W or maybe an 1800W Inverter depending on what you want to power and for how long. If you have a gas / electric fridge, it will let you power the fridge. You can power TV's, a coffee maker and possible some microwave use if you install a true sine wave Inverter.

I changed the way my Inverter was hardwired in my prior coach, a 2018 Outlaw 29H. It came with a Xantrex 1000W Inverter that only powered the TV's and stereo. I wanted something with more power and also wanted to be able to decide what outlets would be powered by the Inverter.

I replaced the stock Inverter with a Xantrex 1800 True Sine Wave Inverter. I then wired it like I have my house wired to use the generator if I ever lose power at home. This requires some manual processes to use properly and safely but I knew what I was doing and how the system would work so it wasn't an issue for me.

I did the following with all AC and DC power off to the coach.....

- I removed the AC input to the inverter. I was not worried about using the built-in Transfer Switch of the Xantrex.

- I then added a 15A breaker to an open slot on my WFCO Power Distribution Center.

- I took the output of the Inverter and wired it to the new 15A breaker that I added. I did this to allow the Inverter to back-feed the Distribution Panel Buss when I wanted to use the Inverter.

This is the process I followed to use my Inverter....

- When I wanted to use the Inverter I first turned off all breakers in the Power Distribution Panel. This included the Main breakers, the Converter breaker, etc.

- I then turned on the new 15A breaker that allowed the Inverter to provide AC to the Distribution Panel.

- I then turned on only the breaker to the outlet that I wanted to power. Again, I was limited to 15A circuits because I chose to use existing wiring and not run heavier gauge wire to use the 20A capability of the Inverter.

- When I was done using the Inverter, I had to reverse the procedure. I would turn off the new 15A breaker from the Inverter output to stop feeding the Distribution Panel. I then would turn on all of the breakers to restore the ability to use shore power or the generator.

My Outlaw had a 5000BTU air conditioner in the garage and with solar I could power it without a problem on a sunny day. I could also run my fridge on electric via the Inverter instead of propane. I could also power an outlet in the kitchen so my wife could use a crock pot to cook dinner while we were driving so I didn't have to be running the generator.

This setup worked great for my purposes but the approach may not be for everyone. You need to know what you are doing.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum