Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #13
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS View Post
I have a similar problem -
The store/use switch is a rocker switch - the way I understand it to work is when you engage the 'use' position it engages a solenoid that in turn makes the house batteries available. On mine when I engage the switch it does engage the solenoid but as soon as I release the switch the solenoid disengages. You can hear the solenoid.
Thor sent me a new solenoid - did not fix the problem. I have tried tracing wiring diagrams to figure out what is going on but no luck. My solution to date is to engage the rocker switch to use - insert a pen cover - yes pen cover to keep the switch engaged. You can hear the solenoid engage when you toggle to switch to house and you can also hear it disengage when you leave off the switch, on my anyhow. The other issue is that if the batteries are not in the use/house mode they will not be charged by the converter, generator or chassis motor.
I have also removed the solenoid and hard wired the batteries to 'use' because we do not store our RV. I since put it back until I figure more out. In either case if your switch is working like mine you may need to remove your house batteries to get a good charge.
I wonder if Thor miswired it or are using a different solenoid - anything is possible.

On my coach, the solenoid is mechanical "latching", which means there is a terminal to turn it on, and a terminal to turn it off. This allows the solenoid to remain energized when boondocking without having to use any current to keep it energized.

But my rig is a few years old so I wonder if they discovered less expensive way to do things.

Otherwise, I'd simply replace the solenoid/switch with a good marine grade mechanical battery disconnect switch (which other RV manufacturers seem to use).

AKA the K.I.S.S. principle.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.