Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Dead batteries
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 08:47 PM   #27
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Not sure we communicating? I am not referencing a "battery disconnect switch", but the coach's chassis battery on/off switch. Maybe you call it the same thing? By contrast I do have installed a true aftermarket battery disconnect switch on my engine battery. I have never had to use but I just wanted to have.

So for right now I am only talking what comes standard from Thor USE/STORE switch and what comes standard on my Winnebago ON/OFF Switch.

You asked...
Are you relying on a simple LED indication that the DC buss has power>
Are you relying on the battery status indicator on the control panel that actually indicates DC buss voltage?

I am relying on DC voltage applied at points downstream of the Chassis batteries.

On my Coach; when the Switch LED is Green (On) everything has full VDC power. It does not matter if I have shore power connected or not. The vDC off the chassis battery does drop if no shore power; because the charger is NOT on as their is no power vAC.

However, on my coach 2019 Winnebago 29VE; if I have no shorepower and flip the Switch to (Off), With exception of the Kwikie Entry Steps; Everything vDC dies (including the Safe T Alarm Propane detector, and AGS). But if the Shorepower is turned back on, it ignores what you think you were doing with the switch last because the LED go green and all vDC is restored. This is what I like and view as perhaps different than Thor. If Thor had, there would be fewer accidental dead batteries because a RV owner forgot or did not know to put switch in USE mode when they assume it would be charging because the had shorepower.

I view as poke-yoke or fail safe because in short, I can ONLY disconnect my Chassis batteries (turn that Switch to Off); when there is no vAC being supplied. And when I do turn it Off, there is no draw. I suspect Kwikie steps may be pulling from Engine battery. I would have to check on that.

I hope this all makes sense. I spent almost 18 months studying and learning Thor and wound up with Winnebago; so I occasionally confuse myself. Of the two processes, IMO the ON/OFF concept is more user friendly for the layman RV owner than the USE/STORE concept.
You have completely ignored what I told you.
The green light just shows 12 VDC power on the DC buss - it doesn't not show the status of the battery disconnect switch; which is also named that way on some Thor coaches.
The light will be on with no shore power if the batteries are connected.
The light will be on with shore power if the batteries are disconnected due to the converter powering the DC buss.

Thor coaches with a light indicator are wired the same way.
If you have not broke out a voltmeter you are not measuring voltage anywhere.

Perform the experiment I posted above before continuing to argue about how these coaches and latching relays (it's not really a switch) are wired.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.