Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Solar panels
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Solar panels

I just got done installing two Renogy 160W Flexible Panels on my Magnitude. It was prewired with a GoPower Solar Controller. I had these installed on my 2018 Outlaw 29H and now this is the second coach I have installed these panels. I have improved the way I mounted the panels this time around.

I like the flexible panels because they are much lighter and I can mount them without screwing them down into the roof.

Here is what I used to mount my flexible panels:

(2) White Corrugated Plastic Sheets. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplas...896S/205351385

(12) Flanged Elevator Bolts with flat washers, lock washers and nuts and wing nuts. I used the type of elevator bolts that have points so they did in and won’t spin when tightening. https://www.mcmaster.com/elevator-bolts/

EternaBond Tape

First, I cut the corrugated plastic sheets to just over the size of the solar panels.

Next, I drilled ¼” holes into the corrugated plastic where the mounting holes were located on the panels.

Then I inserted the elevator bolts through the backside of the plastic sheets and placed some Eterna Bond Tape over the metal base of the elevator bolts so the metal would not rub into the roof when the panels were mounted. I used a washer and nut to tightened the bolt so the base firmly sunk into the plastic before covering the base of the bolt with the EternaBond.

I then placed the plastic sheets on the roof and used Eternabond Tape to secure them.

I placed two flat washers over the elevator bolts and then laid the solar panel on the plastic sheets. I added another flat washer and tightened a regular nut by hand. I then added a lock washer and wing nut to finish securing the panels. The elevator bolts were zinc plated and the washers and nuts were stainless.

Here are a few pics I took of the project along the way…..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6713.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	23819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6714.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	23820  

Name:	IMG_6715.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	23821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6716.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	23822  

Name:	IMG_6718.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	23823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6720.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	23824  

Name:	IMG_6723.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	23825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6724.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	23826  

Name:	IMG_6725.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	23827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6726.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	23828  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum