Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Solar panels
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I used 3" wide EternaBond in 6" strips so 3" on the plastic panel and 3" on the roof. I used 7 pieces per panel with 3 pieces on the end that will catch the wind.

Both the plastic panels and solar panels are very low profile so there should not be much wind resistance. I also plastic them in line behind a MaxxAir Fan Cover, which should provide some aerodynamic protection.

I cleaned the roof over the weekend before starting and I also used Brake Parts Cleaner on the roof prior to installing the EternaBond to ensure a clean surface so the tape would react and bond with the roof.

After installing the tape and rolling them out to activate the tape, it feels pretty darn solid.

Here is a video showing how much the tape will stick when used properly.

When I installed these on my last coach I went a little crazy with the EternaBond and went down all four sides. It was a bear to remove them for sure.

I also didn't want to tape the ends of the plastic panels this time because they are actually open end-to-end from being corrugated so I think that will allow for a little airflow and better heat dissipation.

I have seen people just EternaBond tape the flexbile panels directly to the roof but I wanted a way to easily remove them if I need to replace them at some point and also to have a barrier between the panel and the roof for a little heat protection for the roof itself.

Before I take my first trip this weekend I am going to pull on the plastic panels to see how well the EternaBond setup. If they feel solid, I am going to leave them as-is. If I think they need to be secured more, I will add a little more EternaBond down the sides.

As a side note, I just used EternaBond over ever seam and joint on the roof where Dicor was used for sealing such as vents, ladder mounts, solar wiring entry point, etc. EternaBond is about the best stuff to use for permanent sealing and leak protection. Now I won't have to climb on the roof every 3 - 6 months to inspect and add more Dicor to keep the roof from leaking. I have read several posts of guys who do this the moment they by their coach and they never have any leaks and minimal roof maintenance for the life of the coach.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum