Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Solar panels
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
taylorbob1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Welcome to the forum. Lots of useful info on this forum.

I think in 2019 Thor prewired most coaches and included a 10 amp GO POWER PWM Solar controller.

If thats the case your are limited to around 100 watts (Perhaps 150 watts? 10 amps total input) max unless you replace your controller. I think some have pushed 200 watts with the OEM system but im not sure how successful they were.

You may know this but I thought I would mention it.

I think most agree a flexable panels can be secured with Eternabond tape just fine. But the rigid panels some say they can glue it down (with special Calk type stuff) other say Screw it down to be safe. Im on the fence on this one.
Just go with the flex panels like above.
If they fail or don't last very long, then buy new.

That is...from everything I've read in all the on-line reviews, they have problems/cracking in initial shipping & install, and also deteriorate when sitting in the sun for extended periods.
That's why the typical warranty is only 5 years.

I'm guessing that Judge and others on this Forum who have installed flex panels haven't had them sitting in the sun for 5 or more years yet.

So if you plan on trading-up your RV in 5 yrs or less, then you'll probably be fine.

I know you're anxious to install solar, and once you have it you'll never go back.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.