Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Dead batteries
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #44
hikerjohn7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12281
Master Switch Totally Disconnects

[QUOTE=dkoldman;235258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I've always thought it was not good to leave an RV stored for long periods with shore power on.

You are correct and confirmed by Winnebago

Winnebago says if you plan to leave RV unattended for anything longer than 2 weeks. You should...
1. Disconnect Shore power
2. Turn Disconnect Switch to Off

Of course, your disconnect switch should totally disconnect the batteries from the coach. I suspect the batteries will last quite a while like that. Just turning off the master switch in the coach won't do.

For my coach a 29VE Winnebago, for what you are calling the Master switch inside the coach.... it fully disconnects from the coaches house batteries, as long as there is No Shorepower. My coach is wired such that a true Disconnect Switch directly on the House batteries is not needed. If my Coach's Master On/Off switch is OFF and No shorepower then that switch being off is all that is needed. There is no parasitic drain unless someone has wired aftermarket device, or coach not wired properly from factory. i.e in my coach, when disconnect is Off the gas detector is also off. In fact everything is off

With that said, I did add an aftermarket disconnect switch for the Engine (Chassis) battery. I have never used it, but if I wanted to stop it from parasitic drains I could.
/QUOTE]
That's a smart feature. As I said, I had to learn the hard way that my master switch on my relatively new Class A RV did not totally disconnect the batteries and after a few weeks of storage my batteries were dead. I had to go to the trouble of installing a marine type cut-off switch in the main line from my battery. However, since then, my batteries have been staying fresh and full of power even after weeks. Whether they could go six months like that, I can't tell you.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum