Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
It should work, although you may want to plug in your charger periodically - say once a month for a few hours.

My experience has come from my boat (before I bought the RV). We did not have access to electricity in our storage building - which sucked because it cost over $350/mo for inside storage.

But we found that even standard deep cycle batteries would keep some charge over the 6 month period - as long as everything is disconnected. But the building was heated so there was no chance of freezing the batteries, which can happen if they are completely discharged.

After about 3 hours on the charger in the spring time, the batteries were fully charged.

I also replaced the batteries every 4 seasons as you don't want to have battery problems out on the water.

We recently went from a boating lifestyle to a RV - we got rid of the boat last fall and bought a motorhome.

What I do now though with the RV is to put the batteries on charge for about 2 hours a month while the RV is in storage. That is enough to keep the batteries sufficiently charged without having to continuously monitor to be sure the batteries are full of water - which you should do if you maintain a constant charge on the batteries.

It also depends on the sophistication of the charger, as some chargers can still gas in overcharge (which will boil off water). I don't have enough experience yet with my particular charger to tell if it gasses in overcharge or not.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum