Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: 6v versus 12v
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #34
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If you’re installing 4 batteries (other than lithium), either flooded or AGM, the practical solution is to go with 6-Volt batteries. And it has little to do with battery differences — that’s missing the point completely.

With 6-Volt batteries you’ll end up with two parallel strings of two batteries in series each. And that’s OK.

With 12-Volt batteries you'd end up with 4 strings of 1 battery each in parallel, and that’s not ideal.

If comparing similar “deep cycle” 12V batteries to their equivalent 6V, it makes very little difference. The problem is usually that 6V deep cycle batteries are compared to 12V that are very different in construction and then somehow the difference is attributed to the voltage. Basically, 6V and 12V can be different, but they don’t have to be.

In your case with 4 batteries, I’d stick with 6V regardless from a practical standpoint. I’d avoid 4 X 12-Volt batteries in parallel (lithium would be an exception).
Thank you. I think the jury's in on this one. Lithium is not on the radar until I can understand the charge profile a little better and get an inverter to match that's reliable. Lithium batteries are a little expensive to be playing around with.

I initially looked into wet cell and started to ask how I would care for the ones in the back. I can't w/o an AWS. AGM fell next in line but I don't like the sealed concept where I can't watch what's going on. I want to know when cells run low and try to figure out why. The lead cell in my forward battery (closest to the breaker) always goes low while the others remain topped off.
That's interests me.

The only reason I'm shying away from 6v is the height. I have a 9.5" ceiling and many 6v's I'm seeing exceed that height. Back to the drawing board on that aspect.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm getting the education I believed I would out here. Take care.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum