Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #74
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick104 View Post
Has anyone actually measured the width of the 16 inch rims to see if the front and rear ( dual rims ) are the same size ? That seems pretty basis but a critical factor if you are going to carry only one spare tire and plan to use it on both the front and rear ( dually ) axil. I gained complete respect for tires last summer on a 6000 mile round trip to Seattle, WA from TN and again on a trip to the FL Keys. I had my first ever BLOW-OUTS. Michelin radial tires with plenty of tread, hot summer day in Montana, fully loaded E-350 class B Pleasure-way Van going about 70 mph on the Interstate HWY on Saturday afternoon about 3:30 PM. Rapid decompression, tread separation, wheel well damage, and sewer hose compartment damage. I safely made a good stop and got well off to the side of the road. Did I mention that the tires were 7 years old with no cracks or damage and I'm sure I didn't run over anything. After I had Good Sam road service come out and put the spare tire on ( 12 years old and never on the ground ) we limped to Billings Montana at 50 mph and got a motel room to clean up and calm down. Time from blow-out to motel was about 2 hours. Thank you Good Sam roadside service. My first call ever to them in 12 years with that van. Had the van weighed the next day and it was right at the maximum gross weight, 9400 pound. Moral : Don't try to get too many years out of your tires that look new and have lots of tread. Unfortunately I had another blow-out on the other rear tire 6 months later headed to the keys south of Miami. Those rear tires carried 80 psi ( the max) and most of the weight of the van. That did it. I bought 4 new tires and used the one I bought in Montana as my spare and watch my tires and their pressures very carefully now. The front tires carried 55 psi and the rear tires 80 psi. Take care of your tires and they will take care of you !!
I can't imagine that they would mismatch like that on anything, even up to the class 8. Maybe for some specialty heavy equipment for some reason, but not for a truck. Why would they even bother to put the lug surface so far outboard? It would be easier, cheaper, and probably stronger to use a more standard wheel with lugs along the centerline of the tire instead of outboard.
And if for some reason they did need to mismatch, I can't imagine taht they would in such a way so that it's impossible to tell the difference. They certainly must be the way they are so that they can be rotated and intermixed universally on the vehicle.

Re your blowout experiences
Was the 55psig/80psig taht you were running based on the actual measured weights of the corners, or the axles?
Were you running a TPMS at the time?
I only ask because in all the research I have done these are two of the significant variables that contribute to blowouts. It seems that you were being mindful of these things, but how can you be sure that a leak didn't develop some time before the blowouts.... which as I understand it is how a blowout typically progresses.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum