Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 11:54 PM   #5
thutchis

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
So I have finished the install and I am very pleased with the outcome. I'll document it here so hopefully someone else can follow along.

The ATOTO A6 Pro installed in the same double-DIN cage that held the Jensen. The friction fit is so tight there is no need for any screws or other fasteners between the radio and the cage. I purchased a Metra Electronics - Trim Rings - Universal (89-50-0900) Metra Kits Trim Rings package to make the install look a bit more professional. Here is the before and after with the trim rings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ATOTO_Install_Compare.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	23915

Now the interesting and fun part. The original Jensen radio had three video inputs and took 3 input triggers to switch the monitor between backup and the right and left turn signals. Most new auto head units have a single video/audio input so that could limit you to one camera.

Fortunately ASA Electronics the maker of the Jensen radios has a solution in the CSW3/CSW3007 Multi-Camera Controller The controller takes the 3 camera inputs and powers them and will output whichever camera is triggered to a single video output for the car head unit.

So this solves the 3 camera/one input problem very nicely. But the ATOTO A6 unit doesn't have a button to turn on the rear/backup camera while driving forward. I use the rear camera to keep an eye on the towed vehicle so I solved it with a switch on the dash to trigger the rear camera on the camera controller box. A tailight isolator diode keeps the dash switch from inadvertently illuminating the backup light when switched on. I used one of the diodes from the Hopkins 48955 Towed Vehicle Diodes Kit . I have one blank switch location below the car head unit so I found a matching switch from Rocker Switch Pros with a custom "actuator" that reads "Backup Camera". Now I can simply hit the switch whenever I want to activate the rear camera and the normal backup gear shift works too.

Here is a schematic of the camera controller, diode and switch configuration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV_Backup_Camera_Circuit2.png
Views:	385
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	23917

Here is a PDF of the schematic RV_Backup_Camera_Circuit.pdf

Hope this helps anyone who wishes to replace that junk Jensen radio Thor installs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
Will it finally happened to my 2015 Windsport 27K, the POS Jensen JRV-212 radio went Tango Uniform. So it was an easy decision to replace it with an Android Head unit.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.