Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I have a '14 Palazzo with the 'split bus' panel, essentially a 'sub-panel' within the Main Panel, though you'd not know it without a lot of investigation. The sub-panel, which consists of a 30amp 'Inverter Main' breaker, where the power from the Inverter comes back 'into' this sub-panel, from the front of the breaker, and powers 4 individual 15amp circuit breakers via the power bus that they attach to.
This 'third' power bus is separate from the other two, which are the power bus's that are powered by the incoming 50amp 240v service, or two 'hot legs' of power, for all of the other circuit breakers for the air conditioners, water heater, battery charger, etc.

If this is how your Main Panel is designed, I believe mine is a 'Progressive Power' name brand panel, custom built for the RV industry, the only way I can see that you could 'move' a circuit of outlets to be powered by the Inverter is by moving that breaker's output wire over to one shared with an existing 'inverted' circuit. The issue, though, then becomes that the circuit will now have more outlets on it than it was designed to handle, which could lead to easy nuisance tripping quite often, unless you really manage how you use your outlets.

Most of the factories have always erred on the side of conservative wiring when it comes to these 'smaller' Inverters - meaning that a 1,500watt Inverter is not going to have ALL your outlets wired through it, but generally only the Residential fridge, and maybe one or two other 'essential' outlets, or maybe a TV, etc.
Larger 3,000watt Inverters are more designed for 'whole house' Inverter wiring - meaning that ALL outlets may be run thru the inverter, because it now has the capacity to handle close to 30amps just thru the Inverter, itself. This would include the 120v residential fridge, a GFCI circuit for the bath and kitchen outlets, a general set of outlets, and even a dedicated outlet for the microwave.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum