Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #13
javelin

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Intermittent electrical issues are the worst.....how do you fix what is currently working?
The morning you discovered your fridge was not cooling at home, the fridge switched to propane automatically only after you pulled the shore AC. It seems to me that the fridge control board was working as it should and detected the shore power feed OK until you manually removed it.

Then you went on your trip and the fridge has started working again on shore......so possibly the traveling has re-connected a loose connection somewhere.
If it were my situation, the first thing I would do is remove the fridge outside access panel (typically turn the panel retaining screw heads 90 degrees to loosen and then the panel should just lift off, but your coach may be different). If you have concerns about working around AC voltages then also remove your coach from shore temporarily. Check that the two wires coming from the electrical heating element (in the chimney or boiler as it’s called) are solidly connected to the control board connecting pins. Visually look for any other loose connections/ damaged or pinched wires (also make sure AC plug is solidly in the receptacle located inside the outside fridge enclosure) or any other conditions (bad wire crimps) that might cause this problem.

If nothing obvious can be found then it is possible that the heating element itself is intermittent, or perhaps one of its connecting wires is damaged inside the chimney/boiler. You are under warranty, so I wonder if after contacting Thor first, they would allow you to hire a mobile RV tech to check things out (in lieu of a long trip to your Dealer and back) and then compensate you for repairing any trouble found? Again hard to fix when things are working.....even for a trained tech. Don’t forget to reconnect shore if you disconnected prior to checking your fridge external wiring.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum