Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 06:52 PM   #38
RVGeek

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: chateau 23U
State: Florida
THOR #1241
Minimizing cost and loss

Power loss is inversely porportional to resistance and porportional to current squared (P= I^2 * R). One does not normally use the same wire gauge on both sides, as the current is 10X larger in the 12VDC circuit, as has already been stated. You reduce the 12VDC losses by increasing the wire gauge, but at much more cost.

Conclusion: Put the inverter as close to the battery bank as possible, and put circuit protection near the positive battery post. I use an inexpensive fusible link from an auto parts store.

Also, if the inverter has remote panel, remember that it produces a parasitic drain on the battery, so the inverter should be turned off when in storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I'm planning out a solar install. In my research, I have not come across anyone who explains where they placed things and why.

For instance, I read you should place the inverter close to the batteries to reduce line loss. My batteries are under the steps in the front of the coach and I have a nice void to place the inverter that's no more than 2-3ft away from the batteries. My fuse/breaker panel is in the rear under the bed. What about the run from the inverter to power panel? It plays into wire size. I found a calculator to help with voltage loss. My initial thought is locate everything up front in that void and run the inverter's 120v output back to the power panel. It's large enough to hold all the components and I have enough wall space to mount the monitoring and control panels. My concern is most all the outlets I use are located up front so, now I make that run all the way to the back to reach the power panel and send it all right back up front to use the outlets.

Is it best to locate the inverter somewhere in between to "split the loss", place it closer to one end or the other other to 'balance' the loss? Or just get it as close to the batteries as possible? See my dilemma?

If you have something I can read, I'd appreciate it. I'm not adverse to reading something for myself. I just need to find it.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum