Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #28
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Existing 30 amp camper could not plug into a 120/240 outlet! 120 volts is 3 wire. 240 volt is 4 wire. There is only 1 hot wire in 120 volts.

You could not make an adapter that would separate the neutrals and grounds as required by code.

Please explain what you mean by “separating” the grounds and neutrals? I’m talking about the same type of connection as a present 30A but with an extra 30A hot leg (L1, L2, neutral, and ground). The adapter would not use the extra leg for existing 30A RVs. I’m not following your objection.

When people connect their existing 30A to a 50A (240V typical 50A 4 wire), they just don’t use one of the two hot legs. Those adapters are used all the time already, although as I’ve said in other threads, the 50A breaker does not protect wiring from 50A pedestal to 30A main breaker at motorhome panel. That’s why I wouldn’t use one myself

However, if you had 30A version of the 50A 4-wire at campgrounds, the adapter would use L1 or L2, plus the neutral and ground for existing 120V 30A RVs.

For what it’s worth, these adapters are also already manufactured (about $20), and since pedestal breaker would be limited to 30A on both L1 and L2, wiring from pedestal to RV would be protected at 30 Amps.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.