Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #354
jannnda

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well I suspect your AC unit it just not up to snuff with some of the others I have talked to on this forum. Might need to get it checked out. Im getting 42 deg right away out of my closest air vent within like 5 minutes of startup. Im seeing about 20 degree difference. I think most members are seeing like 15 - 18 deg differnce?

If my Axis is in full SUN it struggles to cool it down properly. But I can still manage about 75 - 76 deg in the living areas (But 78/ 80 in the cockpit with Relective bubbles in all the windows. I need to put a curtain up front to block that area off and see what happens - im loosing too to much cooling power from the cockpit in full sun).

If Im in full or 1/2 shade (esp on front windows) I can pull down to 72/74 deg when 90 - 95 outside. And like 65 (or less) degrees at night! So I crank it down before I go to bed then turn up thermostat to 72 / 74 so the AC dont kick on too much until morning hours.

After reading about the "Soft Starts" I think I would install a 2nd unit on your RV with 30 amp service (and Soft Starts on both AC units).

I also thought about installing a soft start on my one 15K unit since they say its much quieter on startup (im a light sleeper) and you can run off 15 amp serice in a pinch.

I have two units now. We just put up new curtains on the driver and passenger sides. We took the old ones in and they used them as a template. Put magnets at the bottom left, middle and right. The curtains are lined with the same material you would use for an ironing board. I hate the look of the bubble stuff and when we are not in the sun we can just pull the curtains back.
The a/c works great at night and not bad during the day as long as it stays below 90. Above that and it really struggles. I just thought with 27,000 btu’s I could hang meat if I needed to.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum