Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #11
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Well, I guess in my original post I assumed Atwood would use a relay for the heater element control, but then the on line manual AC troubleshoot section must be a simplified schematic just showing a “switch”. Then I just looked in the manual again in the schematic section at the end....sure enough a relay is used for 120vac control to the element. (Picture is attached). My bad.

Checking the schematic it seems the only wire to the circuit board related to the electric heating element, is the yellow wire from the relay coil, as mentioned. Possibly the relay coil ground connection should also be checked if it just bolts to the water heater chassis. So if the yellow wire connection at the circuit board is flaky it would stop the relay from operating and connecting 120vac to the water heater element.

You are out of warranty (extended?), so if the circuit board connector cannot be fixed, you could attempt to solder a new similar gauge wire to the circuit board (copper trace side in the correct location of course) and hard wire splice connect it to the yellow wire leading to the relay coil. (Essentially jumpering the yellow connector junction). Removing the circuit board might be a bear though. If you do this though disconnecting the connector would be a hassle in future if required.

Or just go buy a Dinosaur replacement board. Too many people with problems from Atwood controller boards.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.