Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #15
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
You may want to use nitrogen in your tires.

Bruce
While there are reasons to use Nitrogen (at 93% or higher compared to 'normal' air at 78%) - the change in outside temp is NOT one of them...
From Nitrogen in Tires : Information about Nitrogen Tire Inflation News, Benefits, Generator Dealers, Location Finder & More (scroll to bottom to see answer):
Quote:
The pressure in nitrogen filled tires will change when the temperature changes, just as it does with air filled tires, because nitrogen and oxygen respond to changes in ambient temperature in a similar manner. For example, when your vehicle is parked it will lose a similar amount of pressure for every 10 degree change in temperature, whether the tires are filled with nitrogen or air.
The calculations for this change are based on the Ideal Gas Law. A good rule of thumb is this: For every 10 F degree change in temperature, the pressure will change by 1.9%.
I filled the tires at 30 degrees before leaving on business trip the week before our trip... Temp was 55-60 when I got back... a 4-5 psi increase for normal 82 psi tires... That plus the error margin in the TPMS sensors - and my normal gauge, and the normal temp increase running was enough to alarm multiple tires.

Higher Nitrogen content may have reduced the 'running' temp and additional pressure increase... could have prevented the alarm - but to me the reminder was to verify pressure just before leaving - especially if temp changed significantly - regardless of what you fill your tires with.
The relative higher pressure of RV tires (almost 3x compared to passenger car) makes it even more important.

The TPMS helped 'remind' me of that fact - rather than running tires too hot.

There are other reasons to consider higher concentrations of Nitrogen - more info available on same link above... The downside of I can't maintain (add) from my driveway/campsite (added onboard compressor to MH) and the 50-60 degree temp swings on a trip heading north/south in a typical winter - I haven't gone this way... yet.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.