Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #13
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
There are many articles on this topic, the following being just one.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...configurations

If upgrading to 4 batteries, I’d go with 2S/2P (Series/Parallel) configuration based on 6-Volt batteries. If you research it, most RVs that come from manufacturer with 4 lead batteries use 6-Volt batteries in 2Series/2Parallel configuration. I would personally avoid 4 X 12-Volt lead batteries all in parallel. Newer lithium batteries are a new exception because of battery management systems.

Regarding your 600-Watt coffee maker, that’s not really much juice for two good batteries. The inverter should pull in range of +/- 60 Amps at 12V, which is only 30 Amps per battery. If inverter trips out immediately on coffee maker start, there’s definitely a problem.

Do you know at what voltage the inverter trips? Some are around 11-Volts.

If you want to test batteries again under normal coffee maker load, but are by yourself, have you thought of temporarily moving coffee maker near batteries so you can check voltage when you turn it on? You’d only need an extension cord.

When troubleshooting I usually check the easy stuff first, particularly if it’s likely to be the problem. Bad batteries are a common problem and easy to check, so where I would start.
Thank you Chance, for the words and the link. I think you and Bob are right about the batteries. I found the sticker: 3/16. It's time to swap them out. Just FYI, this will be 4-12s either wet or AGM. Haven't decided yet.

Just for kicks, I checked them and they were 12.23v. I plugged up my phone (.5A) and my laptop (1.5A) with a 41% charge and fired up the inverter. Batts dropped to 12.15 on a 2A draw. They need replacin'

I may run my config past you once I'm done with my homework (reading), if you wouldn't mind commenting on it. Thanks again. Take care

One last note: the battery indicator light drops from good to low as soon as the coffee maker fires up.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.