Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
cavie

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Welcome. You have a lot to learn but you will get thru it. Yes. That wire must be hook up. I just can't tell where from that picture. It is the cause of your dead batteries. It would appear to go on the front left post but I don't know for sure.

There are two electric systems in your RV. 12 volts and 120 volts. When we say POWER in the RV world that usually refers to 120 volt electric power. All you lighting and control circuits for equipment is 12 volts. It is supplied by a device called a Converter which changes 120 volts to 12 volts. The converter, or in some cases Inverter/charger, powers 12 volt and charges the batteries. When hooked to shore power. Anything under 12 volts on the batteries is a a 1/2 dead battery. They should read 12.6. Charging voltage should be 13.6 or something close.

The other device we have is called an Inverter It changes 12 volts into 120 volts. You can power some 120 volt stuff with this when not plugged into shore power.

It looks to be two 12 volt batteries in parallel. I could be wrong. The generator is not powering you interior lights. It is 120 volts. Your lights are 12 volts.

There is a device called a "Battery Disconnect Switch" That controls a latching relay. That must be ON or IN USE in order to keep the batteries charged. It is usually found at the entry door. Most have a light. The light usually shows that 12 volts is present. It is not an ON/OFF indicator. I keep saying Usually because some one will always jump in and say "But Mine Does not".

The latching relay appears to be behind the batteries with the Breakers. That's the part I can not see well. It could be anywhere. It might be under the bed. Looks like an old starter solenoid. I'm sure someone will jump in here and help with this. Maybe you can get a few close ups pics of the things behind the batteries and a pic of the tops of the batteries. Perhaps you can remove the carrying straps for clarity? We need to follow the wiring to see where that loose cable goes.

There is an electric breaker box in your rig that has all the 120 volt circuit breakers in it just like your house. This is where your converter is located. You have a 50 amp service. This service is 120/240 meaning you have 240 volts to the main circuit breaker. Just like your house. BUT you can not access 240 volts unless yours is a high end unit with 240 volt dryer and induction cook top.

The Inverter will be mounted closer to the batteries. Again Usually.

You tube is your friend! Right now we need to figure out where that battery cable is supposed to be hooked up.

Are you confused yet?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.