Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I agree this is a worthwhile investment... My 'whole house' surge supressors (brick and mortar home) have saved me multiple times (giving their life in the attempt on 2 occasions) - so installing in the RV was a no-brainer...

I went with the portable model (Surge Guard 50A) - as I didn't want to add to the 'hum' under the bed (where all the electrical is) - and wanted something I could bypass easily if IT failed for some reason (old models of Surge Guard had a bypass - but they eliminated it on newer models.)

I chain it to the power pedestal - someone would have to cut lock/chain/cord exiting unit to remove... Certainly can be done - but can't just unplug and walk away.

I believe it has already saved me $$ in repairs - as we ended up at a park in August that had a low voltage issue on the leg I was on... It 'protected' multiple times and was enough to convince the camp owner he had a problem.

Only issue I had with choice of a portable unit was a recent park where the electrical boxes were almost horizontal just above ground... The Surge Guard has to be vertical to be waterproof (per the label). I may need a short 50amp cord to give some flexibility if I run into that again.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.