Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #31
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I'd question dumping the generator. An onboard, maybe, but not entirely. Maybe you stick with an onboard and then use that space for batteries sometime in the future? I don't know...

In the mean time, you may need a way to charge your batteries if you boondock a while. ......cut.....
“Dumping the generator” has been discussed extensively on various threads dedicated to that specific subject.

With present-day technology, the main (practically only) reason most motorhomes need to haul around a generator is to power air conditioning for extended periods. This trend started with Do-It-Yourself van campers and spread to a few major manufacturers now offering compact motorhomes without generators.

While it’s possible to modify motorhomes extensively, it’s usually more cost effective to design and build them the way you want from onset. Doing major upgrades like replacing a generator with alternate forms of power would be too expensive for what you’d get. In my opinion I’d build motorhome initially without a generator, or else build it with a generator and keep it.

Between engine alternator(s), solar, and shore power, it’s possible to charge batteries without a generator, so air conditioning remains the major obstacle to eliminating generators. Unless of course you spend tons of money on a high-capacity lithium battery system like the EcoTrek, Volta, Xantrex, or the Thor system for vans (which I haven’t seen details on yet). Technically it can already be done, just takes money.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum