Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Right on! I'd rather not have to spend the money if I don't need to, but I'm not sure the NightHawk I have would be sufficient even if I swapped the antennas for external ones. And I would have to swap connections between wifi and cell modem as needed. The swapping plus using a directional antenna to always aim to the strongest signal isn't on my favorites list.

I'm going to spend the bucks and drive this around the block and see how it works. I mean literally drives this around by mocking up in my jeep and traveling around observing performance and pulling packets.

My Nighthawk does not have any external antennas.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/netgea...xtender-ex7300

What I have done in some cases i.e. at my moms house is plug the nighthawk in at an external garage receptacle; so it is halfway in the middle of her actual router and my RV. I could get almost double the distance. It works great. I could also use an extension cord if I wanted to be extreme.

I don't do anything with a cell modem? If I want to use T - Mobile data, I simply go to WiFi hotspot created by my phone. So no swapping. My T mobile plan is unlimited data, but it does steps down at some level, but I have never reached to notice any performance issues. We stream movies or local TV through YouTubeTV through the phone with no issues (even while moving)

The Camp Alfa thing, would only be advantageous to me if I knew it would extend further than my Nighthawk (which I don't). I talked with the folks that distribute / make Camp Alfa and while they were very nice, they stayed away from giving me ANY kind of idea about range. At current, it is no need for me to try because I don't have a block right now. I can have Wifi anywhere I travel as long as their T- mobile service. A local free / public WiFi is a bonus that I always use 1st if available.

Now if you come back and tell me you can pick up Wifi 2000ft, or a mile away, let me know, but honestly, I have not had a need to pick up wifi that far. Even if I did, I suspect the quality may be poor and throughput not adequate to stream?

FWIW, Even though the Nighthawk sell for around $149, I got my brand new off ebay for about $60. I like it so much, that if the pros say Netgear has a new version of Nighthawk that overcomes a few of the things I posted above, I would buy a new one in a heartbeat. I could then use my existing to permanently use in the house, mainly upstairs.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum