Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 09:46 PM   #12
HarleyOutlaw

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3558
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi, I am not familiar with your Carefree awning version at all. It seems strange that you say the motor keeps running after the awning stops moving......and Carefree is saying you need a new motor......maybe the drive mechanism on your motor has been damaged somehow? As Beau advised previously.....maybe something in the awning is binding and that resulted in some gearing damage? Also as I mentioned previously on some Carefree awnings the motor side uses a plastic end cap (driven by the motor shaft) to drive the awning tube......until the motor shaft eventually rounds out the plastic drive cap. Only way to replace the plastic drive cap from Carefree is buy the motor (with end cap).....they wont sell the drive cap alone of course. In that case folks with those awnings can use the awning tube cap from the idler end and swap it with the cap on the motor end.....taking appropriate care of awning spring tension etc. I don't know if this will work on your particular version awning.

So the Dorman motor (picture of part number is attached......check Amazon.com for it), is made for certain older GM car electric windows.....but again I don't know if it will work on your particular awning.......plus if you really just need a plastic drive cap (or whatever drive mechanism your awning tube uses), you will wind up with a spare old (but new) GM electric window motor......just what everyone wants....... Sorry I can't help more.

You have been very helpful. I will tear into it in the next few days and see what's going on. If I can swap end caps like you suggest, it would save a bunch of cash and aggravation. Again, thank you for the help

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum