Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabreco View Post
Followup to the last question

I did confirm that BOTH will work at the same time with my generator.
I don't have a transfer switch, To run on generator I must plug my shore power cable into a TT30R outlet which is where my generator terminates.

So then when I run off of the generator, I can run both. If I unplug & run on shore power only ONE turns on, the other does nothing.

Since the wiring in the RV is the same for both applications why doesn't it blow the circuit breaker? How does it KNOW it's not generator?

Would someone happen to have a Four Winds/ Thor 30amp schematic?

I’m not familiar with your motorhome, but the generator itself is a bigger mystery than running 2 air conditioners on 30-Amp service. It is definitely not the typical 4,000-Watt Onan we see today on 30-Amp motorhomes.

I think you answered your own question on previous post when you stated the generator had separate 30A and 20A outputs. When you manually plug the 30-Amp shore line into the pedestal, the 20A that feeds the second A/C probably isn’t “plugged” or connected into anything other than a generator that’s not running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabreco View Post
What was confusing me is that with the switch turned to rear BOTH a/c units work WHEN ON GENERATOR. Then I did the math. My 5000 watt generator is capable of near 42 amps. ( 5000 watts ÷120 volts. ) It has 2, 120 volt outputs one 30 amp output goes to the main input and second 20 amp output, to the second air conditioner.

On 30 amp shore power 2 a/c exceeds that draw.

......cut.....

My son’s motorhome has an old Honda 6,000 that has separate 30A and 20A circuits, and was originally a 30-Amp motorhome before previous owner upgraded to 50A. It also has 2 air conditioners now, although I’m not sure if both were original.

Anyway, can you share more information on generator? I like learning about older motorhomes.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.